Mountain Mat’s Own Healthy Hiking Power Bar Recipe
Sometimes I have to pat myself on the back. Sometimes I create a recipe that everyone likes! Now that is amazing. I was looking for a healthy hiking bar recipe – something full of good stuff and not so full of sugar. All the stuff at the supermarket was so full of corn syrup and carbs – it wasn’t worth eating. So then I started searching recipes. I just couldn’t find what I had in mind – so I decided to go rogue and modify a recipe to make it my own. Jack helped me and together we created the most amazing ‘power bar’ recipe ever! Okay – so its got some sugar in it – but the other good stuff balances it out!
The kids love this recipe! I serve it anytime — it can be at breakfast or an afternoon snack. Its the perfect mountain bar recipe!
Disclaimer: Shannon really loves these. So much so that we discovered a link between my Power Bars and some Power Poops with Shannon. I guess these have a lot of fiber in them. Just so you know… maybe keep these to 1 bar a day…
Mountain Mat Power Bars
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used the sweetened kind)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten (yes, you need this)
- 2 cups rolled oats (not the quick cook kind)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flax seed (ground)
- 1/2 cup raisins (or Craisens, if you feel crazy)
- 1/2 cup pecans (or any nut you like)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Feel free to substitute or eliminate any of the dried fruit, nuts, and chocolates. Personally I’ve found that anything I serve that has chocolate chips in it is met with universal excitement (from my kids as well as husband!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 inch square baking pan (or whatever you have)
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in egg, molasses, and vanilla. Dump everything else in and mix together.
- Spread in pan and bake for about 30 minutes. Let cool, then cut into bars.
Essentially, the directions are: DUMP ingredients together. Mix. Bake.
Its that easy.